Thursday, November 15, 2007

Aches and pains

For over a year I've been working out at a Curves club near my neighborhood. But, for the past couple of weeks I've skipped the workouts. I've been experiencing a host of aches and pains that I've finally got an idea as to their origin. To put it politely, in an old fashioned way, "it's female problems." Nothing that threatens my life, fortunately. I know what I need to do to fix my problems. I need to see an OB-GYN and my internist -- so she can write a referral to that doctor to appease my health insurance company.

Women, I think, tough it out more than men, when it comes to pain. We find excuses for it. We consult each other to explain it away. While it's comforting, it can also help a person, like me, put off finding out what's really going on inside.

I'm in a fortunate situation these days: I work out of a home office, don't have to tough it out through a commute to an office. Don't have to sit there trying to be busy when things truly slow down (and in my line of business, there's a lot of time spent in "holding patterns" while you wait for a decision, or partial payment from a client, before you start work on a new project. So, I've got the luxury of time to go to doctors, medical labs, and sit around waiting for these places to see me. And, I've got time to be distracted by feeling plain old lousy and in pain.

I guess you can say that I'm just fed up with being in pain. I'm fed up with explaining away my discomforts. I need to physically get stuff out of my body and then I'll begin to heal and hopefully, the pain will go away.

And, that's what I feel like writing about today.

No comments:

Blog Archive