Saturday, April 05, 2008

Garnet got his license for 3 more years.




It is with great pleasure that I announce that the honorable Garnet the IV has had his federally sanctioned assistance dog license extended for three more years.

Garnet is the second assistance dog that my husband, Chuck Rich, has been blessed to have been teamed with by the fabulous folks at Canine Companions for Independence.

Last week Chuck and I attended a workshop for puppy raisers in our region that includes Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.. There were easily 20 dogs, ranging in age from 12 weeks to at least 4 years old. I'm so proud of my "Mr. G" He didn't get all goofy and silly at the sight and smell of these puppies. He was in full uniform and was very disciplined.

Ok, he did sniff and touched muzzle-ever so briefly-with a rather petite hearing-assistance dog, a very pretty yellow law mix named Maya. She's a great working dog and her person, Kara, is very much in love with her. Kara also told her story. Maya has that same look of self-assurance and "I'll take care of you, friend" in her eyes that Garnet has. No wonder they touched muzzle!

The whole idea of our being at the workshop was to inspire the puppy raisers that no matter how hard the training may seem at this time, no matter how hard it will be to give that puppy back and turn-in to CCI, they should feel very, very proud of the role the played in raising the CCI dog.

Chuck and I both spoke to the puppy raisers and while we were there the CCI staff assessed how well Chuck and Garnet worked together. The result: Mr. G and my "Mr. R" have had their federal license renewed for three more years, which is the longest extension you get before you have to be tested again.

I started to choke up at the end of my presentation. You see, it would be very easy for my Mr R to not venture out in the world as much as he does. And, I don't know what it's going to be like to grow old with a man who is paralyzed from mid-chest and down. (I often misspell parplegic so correct my spelling if I got it wrong.) But, this dog is strong enough to help him move around, by pulling him in his chair. And, he cannot wait to get up and carry stuff for us. He loves working. He wakes up in the morning in a great mood, and reassures me whenever I spot him looking at me or being my "watch dog." Now, that's what he does for me. What he does for Chuck, Chuck will have to write about one day.

I've always been a dog person, ever since I was young. If you go to the Rich Dogs blog on blogger.com you'll find some of the posts I've written about my connection to my pet dogs. (Yes, Garnet lives with three other dogs and is part of a dynasty of great dogs that have graced our lives. And,I mean it. They've all graced our lives.)

I've got anxieties about the future that Garnet, and his predecessor, Greg, have helped calm. I wish everybody would look at a dog in a work vest the same way I do. They are my heroes and my best friends. I respect them. In return, they give me so much more.

No comments:

Blog Archive