Monday, April 14, 2008

Dr. Phil--just go away.




You heard the latest about Dr. Phil and some alleged "rouge" members of his staff bailing out a 17 year old girl-bashing teen. The staff were "reprimanded." Sure. I believe that. They were yelled at for getting caught!

Watch the FX TV show Dirt? If you do you see that the tabloid-zine depicted actually encourages staff, from writers, photographers and gophers, to do whatever it takes, to get a good story, photo, what-have-you to sell copies. (Just as long as the expense account doesn't suffer TOO much from it. But, they do buy lavish gifts to bribe sources and spend more money than most of us do for groceries.)

Well, don't tell me that Dr. Phil, who seems like a real control freak to me, didn't know that his producers would stoop to bailing out a teenager in order to get her on the air. Producers have to fling some "dirt" sometimes to get good guests. I've even heard (ok, overheard) some cable news outlet producers discuss what it would take to get celebrities to show up for events, that were OFF camera, in order to make their hosts happy.

Well, blame the lack of ethical-fortitude on supply-side economics. If the hosts, audiences, and networks suits didn't want the type of guests that we all gawk at, like the proverbial traffic accident, "rogue" producers wouldn't still be on the payroll at the Dr. Phil Show.

I'm just sick of the man. I didn't quite get what made self-made billionaires, Harpo, go gah-gah over him. I didn't think he offered anything that my own father didn't already offer. But, my dad has a less than charming (but very charming and warm to me) Brooklyn, NY accent, and Dr. Phil sounds like a cartoon character. I guess we tend to gawk at him too.

No comments:

Blog Archive